Sunday, September 21, 2014

"Everything" White Bean Hummus



Bagels. I haven't bought a package of bagels in quite some time, but my favorite is always the "everything" kind. You may chalk it up to my notable indecisiveness, but why choose simply "onion" or "poppy seed" or "sesame seed" when you can have ALL THE BAGELS!?


Oh, that's right. I don't have a toaster.

So no bagels. But what about this Everything White Bean Hummus recipe? After making it, I think I actually prefer the more traditional garbanzo bean hummus, but this recipe was an interesting change of pace.


From the original recipe, I chose to cut down on the oil and salt just a bit, and to add some lemon juice. I have it on medical authority that decreasing salt in my own diet isn't a good idea (hello, hypotension), but there is plenty of seasoning in the "everything" mix that I felt it salty enough.



“Everything”
White Bean Hummus


Prep time: 15 min (or 60 minutes, if you need time to roast the garlic)
Yield: Enough for 6-8 people as an appetizer

INGREDIENTS:
HUMMUS -
2 cans white beans (cannellini or great northern), drained and rinsed
1 head of roasted garlic
½ small lemon, juiced
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil

SEASONING-
2 tablespoons dried minced onion
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (I used black sesame)
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

crudité or pita for serving

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Dump white beans and roasted garlic into a food processor with lemon juice. Pulse until smooth.
2. With the processor running, stream in the olive and sesame oils.
3. Mix seasoning ingredients together.
4. Fold about ½ of the seasoning ingredients into the hummus. Sprinkle the remaining seasoning on top, to taste.

NUTRITION INFORMATION (Per serving, 8):
Calories 234, Total Fat 12.1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium: 297mg, Protein 8.1 g, Fiber 5.2 g

It makes quite a bit of seasoning, so I had extra to sprinkle on salads and grilled cheese sandwiches. I think I still have a bit in the pantry! Try it!


Now... if I could only find my battery charger for the camera, I'd get started on the cocoa chai roasted almonds I made last weekend.  Sigh. Unpacking. Gah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

“We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect.”
― Anaïs Nin